Year end is fast approaching and I’m sure all of my blog friends are busily preparing their final posts and goals for 2012, gearing up to pounce on the New Year. I’m still figuring out what I want to do with my year, next year. I don’t know that I want to “set goals” per se… because having a list of things to do isn’t very motivating to me. Rather, I do things that inspire and energize and propel me towards better writing and better writing habits. When I look back on what I’ve accomplished this year, I certainly wouldn’t have written myself a list of to-do’s this long:
– Finished up a long serial fiction story that I started in January 2009 as a hundred word prompt from Writer’s Digest. It continues to be my “baby”.
– Read 50+ books. I mentioned this before but I’m very proud of achieving that goal! Next year I’m increasing my goal to 60- join me!
– Wrote 120K + words. Yep. That’s a lotta typing.
– Wrote 8 short stories.
– Four of those 8 were original fiction!
– Started two books- one creative non fiction, one fiction novel. Both are stalled at the moment.
– Joined Atlanta Writer’s Club and Georgia Writer’s Association
– Got knocked down. Got back up again.
– Joined/participated in DIYMFA
– Met four authors: Susan Rebecca White, Kathryn Stockett, Tayari Jones, and Bernice McFadden
– Put my writing on display by joining Six Sentence Sunday
– Featured at Wellness & Writing Connections Newsletter, Storyfix.com and Indie Ink.org
– Led three fiction writing challenges at the Fiction Archive
While I’m in the middle of something, I’m slowly simmering and worrying that I’m not doing enough or writing enough or reading enough or learning enough. I’m not available enough for beginning writers and I’m not paying enough attention to those I can learn from…. but when I step back and take a look at the big picture… it’s a very pretty painting of something I’m very proud of.
Here’s to a busier and better 2012, in which I will PERSIST.